Monday, July 25, 2016

Loons in danger - help!!!! (Posted by Trish)

At about 5:30pm I walked down to our dock and observed a smaller white boat with a rounded prow speed across the lake from the north to the south shore. (We are at the western section, along Whispering Pines, north shore)
The boat headed directly towards the loons swimming with their baby on the southern shore. The loons immediately began a distress cry which was repeated through the whole ordeal. I really couldn't believe my eyes as the boaters moved closer and closer even as the loons swam away. I'm not sure if they swung a paddle, but there was a big splash visible from across the lake. At that point I yelled and whistled. The boaters obviously knew they were doing something wrong, Since they immediately turned the boat and motored to the far west section of the lake where O could no longer see them. With my bad eyes I could not see the occupants of the boat. 
When I got here today, about noon, the loons were making quite a ruckus, and I thought that was an odd time of day for that. I am wondering if the same harassment was occurring then too.
Please be vigilant in watching and let's educate and discourage folks from approaching and actually harassing the loons. If you observe a smaller white boat with a rounded prow (it kind of reminded me of an inflatable) plz keep an eye on those individuals and make certain they are not engaging in this behavior. 
The loons are ok thank goodness.
Thank you for your help with this.
Trish

No comments: